|Illustration: Franz Eugen Kohler, Kohler's Medizinal-Pflanzen|
as it contains myristicin (myristic acid). Large doses can cause hallucinations, convulsions, heart palpitations, vomiting, nausea and even miscarriage.
Nutmeg is known to have antioxidant properties and is rich in Vitamins A and C, folic acid, riboflavin and niacin. It is also a good source of minerals like calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium and iron. It also contains large amounts of essential oils, including eugenol.
This exotic, flavorful spice is believed to:
- Control vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and relax spasms
- Reduce gas and bloating
- Aid digestion and improve the appetite
- Stimulate the mind and improve memory
- Produce a euphoric effect
- Reduce stress, relax muscles and relieve tension
- Combat asthma
- Relieve toothache
- Promote sleep
- Have aphrodisiacal properties
- Treat impotency and improve libido
- Used topically, have a toning effect on the skin
This information is provided for general interest and informational purposes only. It is not intended as guidance for medicinal use. Consultation with professional health care provider is always advised and encouraged.